Friday, 2 August 2013

1st Project: Victoria Blazer by the awesome ladies at By Hand London

1st Project: 

Victoria Blazer by the awesome ladies at By Hand London

I have taken part in the By Hand London Victoria Blazer sewalong.  Loved the in-depth posts and photograph tutorials & this is my submission for the SEW ALONG ROUND-UP PARTY!  

Yipeee!

Ta Da! Finished Victoria Blazer.

Materials

My shell is made of 100% soft cotton upholstery velvet.
My lining is made of the softest Liberty of London tana lawn cotton. Matching Elisalex dress to come next!

Modifications

Firstly, the pattern is so cute & the packaging is just perfect!  Thank you By Hand London ladies!

I went for the cropped variation and made a small size as I wanted a more fitted blazer. 

On viewing the fantastic Victoria Blazers on the web & the feel of my velvet & tana lawn I decided to take the collar all the way to the hem line.
 

I was thinking Catherine Hepburn?

I also lined the sleeves to give all over tana lawn comfy-ness when worn over bare arms.  I also like a fully lined blazer as it hides all of the inner seams perfectly.

Outcome

I am so happy with the fit & finish.  This is a blazer that will be worn time & time again I’m sure.

As this is my first garment in a long time I am sure it could have been a little better executed in places… The velvet does not want to iron too flat on the collar so I have decided not to stitch down the collar.  I like the way this allows the lining to peak out around the neck line. 

However…. home sewing isn’t supposed to be perfect right?  This Victoria Blazer & each hand sewn garment made in the future will be individual & a personal expression of my style.  I love that I have a new blazer that will be a talking point with friends.  I am already planning the next one!

Photos

100% cotton soft upholstery velvet, Liberty of London tana lawn and Victoria pattern.

 Cutting out the shell.

 Catching up!... Ready to fit the sleeved lining.

Victoria Blazer almost finished! Back hemline needs closing only and a little hand finishing around the cuff openings.

Victoria Blazer all finished fully lined with a collar to the hem line.

Sleeve lining detail.

Final thoughts

I wore my new blazer to dinner this evening with family.  They all loved my new Victoria & it proved to be lovely & cozy on the way home after the sun had gone down.

I would like to make a casual Victoria Blazer next.

However my next project is a matching Elisalex with the above tana lawn as the shell fabric.

THANK YOU LOVELY BY HAND LONDON LADIES!

No comments:

Post a Comment